Spring has sprung! And these chewy oatmeal chocolate chip carrot cookies are a delicious way to welcome in the new season.
WARNING: This recipe causes carrots to magically disappear. Our recipe testers would peel a carrot only to have it disappear before it was grated! Happy baking!
Photo credit: Kara of Quill and Camera
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp coarse salt
8 Tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
6 Tbsp sugar
6 Tbsp light brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp water
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup grated carrot
6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 375° F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine with a whisk and set aside.
3. In a large bowl combine butter and sugar. Beat, using an electric mixer, on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
4. Add egg, vanilla, and water. Beat on low speed until well incorporated.
5. Add the dry ingredients and mix to combine. Add the oats, carrots, and chocolate chips then mix until just combined. Refrigerate dough for a few minutes.
6. Using a tablespoon measure, scoop rounded spoonfuls of dough and roll between your palms to make a round ball then place on baking sheet, and press lightly to create a flat top.
7. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown, then cool.
8. Taste and share (with a large glass of milk!)
Makes 22 cookies
Tips for cooking with Rad-Kids:
Kids can measure ingredients, crack eggs, mix batter, and help form dough into balls.
Encourage your family to get creative with the mix-ins -- raisins, currants, walnuts and coconut are delicious in carrot cookies, too!
This recipe is a great time to teach about peeling safety. Here are some tips to discuss with your child:
- Be sure to watch the placement of the hand holding the ingredient. Especially the thumb!
- Always have your Rad-Kid peel away from his / her body.
- Visit our safety tips for more information.
Raddish is a cooking club for kids! Created with a mission of bringing families together in the kitchen and at the table, our monthly thematic cooking kits take the guesswork out of cooking with kids while creating delicious kitchen memories along the way. Raddish is designed by a team of educators and chefs who believe the kitchen classroom is the tastiest place to learn. Join our membership today!