Kick off St. Patrick's Day the Irish way with this traditional Irish dish, Boxty Pancakes.
Photo credit: Kara of Quill and Camera
3-4 large russet potatoes
1 1/2 cups white flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 to 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
pinch of salt
butter for frying
1. Peel 2 potatoes and chop into large dices. Place in medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring water to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 15 to 20 or until fork tender.
2. Drain potatoes then place in large bowl and mash immediately.
2. Grate remaining 2 raw potatoes then add to mashed potatoes.
3. Add flour and baking powder to potato mixture. Mix well.
4. Add buttermilk until the batter stiffens.
5. Heat a nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Add enough butter to lightly coat the bottom of the pan when melted.
6. Place 1/4 cup batter in pan and flatten to 1/4 inch thickness. Repeat 2-3 more times depending on size of pan. Cook until pancakes are golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes, then flip. Remove from pan when both sides are brown and lightly crisp. Repeat with remaining batter.
7. Serve warm with butter or pure Irish honey. Taste and share!
Tips for cooking with Rad-Kids:
Kids can measure ingredients, mash potatoes, and mix the batter.
The tic-tac-toe method is a helpful way to cut raw potatoes. Simply slice potatoes into 1-inch rounds, creating a flat surface, and have your Rad-Kid cut a tic-tac-toe board on each potato round.
This recipe is a great time to teach peeling and grating safety. Here are some tips to discuss with your child:
- Be sure to watch the placement of the hand holding the ingredient. Especially the thumb!
- Always have your Rad-Kid peel away from his / her body.
- Don't grate the whole ingredient (ie. potato) -- have your Rad-Kid leave the end for you.
- Visit our safety tips for more information.
Raddish is a cooking club for kids! Created with a mission of bringing families together in the kitchen and at the table, our monthly thematic cooking kits take the guesswork out of cooking with kids while creating delicious kitchen memories along the way. Raddish is designed by a team of educators and chefs who believe the kitchen classroom is the tastiest place to learn. Join our membership today!