Looking for a little lunch inspiration? These deliciously easy (and colorful!) pinwheels are as much fun to make as they are to eat! Spread hummus on fresh tortillas then roll up your favorite roasted (or raw veggies!) and slice into pinterestly-perfect pinwheels. Recipe available for download here.
photo credit: Kara Anderson of Quill and Camera
1/2 cup hummus (recipe for homemade hummus is available in our Food is Art themed cooking kit)
2 red peppers
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp Italian seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup feta cheese crumbles
2 slices whole wheat lavash bread or burrito-sized tortillas
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Cut sides away from pepper. Chop pepper into large chunks. Set on parchment lined baking sheet.
3. Slice zucchini into thin rounds. Set alongside red pepper pieces.
4. Drizzle vegetables with olive oil. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
5. Roast until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Cool slightly.
6. Meanwhile spread hummus on tortillas.
7. Sprinkle with cooled vegetables and cheese.
8. Tightly roll tortilla into a log. Slice into rounds. Serve with fresh fruit such as berries, peaches or cherries. Taste and Share.
Tips for cooking with Rad-Kids:
This recipe is a great opportunity to teach kids knife skills using the spider finger method. Use the following steps:
- Right-handed* chefs: hold the knife softly in your right hand.
- Make "spider fingers" with your left hand by tucking your fingertips around the food you are holding. This protects your fingertips and allows your stronger knuckles to be the guide. Helpful hint: don't let your fingers become a "squid" - where the fingertips "pinch" the food.
- Move the knife gently back and forth in a rocking motion. Don't try to chop fast or hard. The knife should do the work for you.
*Left-handed chefs should reverse the above.
Raddish is a cooking club for kids! Created with a mission of bringing families together in the kitchen and at the table, our monthly thematic cooking kits take the guesswork out of cooking with kids while creating delicious kitchen memories along the way. Raddish is designed by a team of educators and chefs who believe the kitchen classroom is the tastiest place to learn. Join today!