1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ginger
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 cup molasses
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
4 Tbsp melted butter or canola oil
1. In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
2. In medium bowl, whisk together molasses, eggs, buttermilk, and butter (or oil).
3. Gently fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just combined.
4. Spray griddle or skillet lightly with non-stick spray and spoon about 1/3 cup of batter onto cooking surface.
5. Cook until bubbles appear on the top of each pancake, about 1-2 minutes.
6. Carefully flip pancakes and cook until light golden brown, another 1-2 minutes.
7. Serve pancakes with butter, maple syrup, bananas, sautéed pears, and/or powdered sugar.
Tips for cooking with Rad-Kids:
Explore ginger using your 5 senses! Discuss the differences between fresh ginger, ground ginger, pickled ginger, and crystalized ginger.
Kids can measure, mix, fold, and flip.
Discover the folding method together! Have kids lightly cut vertically through the mixture and fold in the sides. This method avoids over mixing ingredients, thus keeping pancakes fluffy and delicious.
Create an edible gift for friends by layering the dry ingredients in a glass jar, then attaching the recipe and a personal note with raffia ribbon.
Raddish is a cooking club for kids! Created with a mission of bringing families together in the kitchen and at the table, our monthly thematic cooking kits take the guesswork out of cooking with kids while creating delicious kitchen memories along the way. Raddish is designed by a team of educators and chefs who believe the kitchen classroom is the tastiest place to learn. Join our membership today!